(Spoiler: Scroll down for an awesome recipe!)
First, a little bit of a background on this:
- The last time I gave being a vegetarian a shot, I did manage to discover many ways to alter recipes that had previously contained meat.
- Even though I wasn't vegan, I was still finding ways to cut out eggs and dairy. Mainly because I really can't have (or shouldn't have) dairy products because they make me ill. As for eggs, well as much as I've enjoyed them in the past, I haven't been able to eat and enjoy eggs in a long time...
- My favourite substitutes have been the flax seed meal and water for eggs, and almond milk in the place of cow milk. I LOVE almond milk!
Today, while roaming my apartment in an attempt to procrastinate (work out? Later... Homework? I'll get to it...), I decided to put together a few things and see if I could make some macaroons without using any egg whites. Once they were ready and I ate
So without further delay, here is this tasty little recipe for a 6 serving batch of macaroons!
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp whole wheat flour (sub. with ground almond if you can't have flour)
- 2 tbsp maple flavoured agave nectar (or use plain, but I personally love the maple flavour in these!)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (if you follow the "baker's secret", which is to "double the vanilla", feel free to...)
- Pinch of sea salt
- Grated zest of one lemon
- Freshly grated ginger (stick it in the freezer for a little while before grating it, it makes life so much easier! Quantity is to taste/smell, my amount was about 1 tbsp grated...)
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Freshly grated nutmeg (again, this is to taste/smell, my amount was about 1/8 tsp)
- Pre heat oven to 350.
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl.
- Scoop about 1 tbsp of the mixture per macaroon, and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes. Once the edges are golden brown, they're good to take out of the oven!
- Allow to cool, and enjoy! :)